Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Just a Mix

So today we were pulling out of the Safeway parking lot in Salem and there was this Hispanic lady waiting to cross the driveway with a stroller and two kids, the stroller had a baby seat so that one must have been little, and the older of the two walking kids had to have been no older than 5. Well, as we waited for this sweet mother to cross the drive, Dan pointed out that there was another little girl (probably about 2) sitting in the basket underneath the stroller, her little head and torso poking out. The stroller was obviously not made for two, but it touched my heart to see this mother love her children and just do the best with what she had.

This week we got a membership to the A.C. Gilbert Discovery Village. Every year we get a membership to some family place (besides the pool, which we usually go to all the time) and I think we are going to LOVE the Gilbert house. The have this slide that is two stories high. It is a tunnel slide. Makyra and I went down it and while we were in the middle it was pitch black, because there was no light from the beginning or end that we could see. They have lots of different rooms that are themed differently (a grocery store, a china room, a jungle room, a bubble room, a human body room, etc.). This Saturday they are having a harvest festival that we are going to go to. There will be a cider press, and a little band you can listen to on the hay bales while they light the pumpkins at dusk. We are going to go.

I had a midwife appointment today. She found the heartbeat but only for about 2 seconds before the baby flipped away again. That little one seems to be so active. She gave me a prescription for nausea. It haven't thrown up too many times, but when I do it's really violent and I break all the blood vessels in my neck and face, yuck. It will also help me sleep at night, which has been really difficult for me during this pregnancy. Mindie (my midwife) asked us if we wanted to come back in 2 weeks (although usually it's 4) since I've still been spotting off and on. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the baby or pregnancy, but just for our reassurance until I can feel the baby move and know it's OK. So of course we took her up on it so we can hear the heartbeat. I hate throwing up, but I've also never appreciated it more, because it means everything's OK.

So other than that nothing is really new, Dan is working at the school, and both of our classes are going well. I feel like I've done well in pottery so far, after having not thrown (where you spin the clay on the wheel and use your hands to shape it into things) for over a year I'm surprised at how much skill I've attained since I first started. I got 15/15 on my critique tonight. We had to throw to cylinder as straight and evenly as we could (they also had to be 8 inches high) and then cut them to see how straight and even our sides where. Afterwards I made a big bowl, it's the biggest I've ever made. I started with 10 lbs of clay, but probably on ended with about 8, from centering and straightening the thing. I'm excited to see how well it ends up in the end.

2 comments:

KristinNB said...

Sounds like everything is well.. Wish you guys could have made it to FHE with us.. It was fun.. Heather wasn't feeling well either and didn't make it.. Short and sweet lesson, but he had fun getting into the cupcakes and eating candy.. =) I hope Makyra feels better soon.. Poor thing.. Olivia is coughing a little now too.. Hope she isn't getting sick..

Sisters: Chunky to Skinny said...

I don't know if you remember me, but I am Amber (Neilson)

I read your blog about your miscarriage. I am sorry to hear that. It happens for a reason, no matter how hard it is. I know, I had two. None far along as yours, but it is still the worst thing ever to go through. I am glad this little one seems to be healthy. Take it easy. Let your honey to a lot of the hard stuff.