PUPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!
So I've really thought about getting a psychiatric service dog. I've researched a lot about training or getting one already trained. I have thought a lot about it. Well, Dan said that he would be OK with it. Then today I got a letter from my counselor so that I can have one in my 'no pet' house. This also allows me to train it to be out in public and with me at all times.
A friend of mine told me today that she say a semi-trained lab on craigslist this morning. So after I came home I looked online and saw that it was for a 5 yr old lab and that I needed to email them. So I sent off an email with a list of questions.
I decided to click on a totally different town than what we live near and the very first posting was for a yellow lab puppy. I called the guy and asked him all my questions about his personality and training. He sounded like a good match for our needs.
He is so mellow! We took him into about 3 different stores today. He stayed right next to us, never jumped up on anyone and was so good. He sat (or sometimes needed a little help) almost every time I told him to. He is potty trained too.
I'm way excited. I love that he is such a good dog and we can take him out in public. I know he'll take a bit of work but he is learning fast.
It usually take about 2 years for a dog to be completely trained so I'm not expecting him to be right on target in 2 months. That said, he is doing awesome for having a new family and new enviroment. I know it will only get better.
We are going to train him (with some help) to help sense when certain aspects of my psychosis are prevelant. We will also train him to cuddle, kiss, and do therapy type acts. So if you see us with a new companion you will know why!
6 comments:
YEA!!! I was going to mention something like that to you but kept forgetting. I have a few tenants who have "therapy" pets and thought it might be a good idea for you. I'm glad you found a nice dog. I LOVE labs! Have fun. I just wish I could have one now!
Congratulations friend, I am so excited for you.
That's exciting. Keep us posted on how it's going.
So, post some pics.
How fun! I love that idea...However-
1 new puppy + 2 girls = PICTURES!!!!!
That is such a great idea! I hope he helps, we love you soooo much!
Post a Comment