So today Makyra and I were looking online at clearance toys just for the heck of it. Of course she wanted a bunch of them. I told her that we had to have money to buy them and she said that we could just get some. I tried to explain that we do have money but we choose to spend that money on the things that we need like lights and gas for the car.
If you've followed many of my posts you'll know that I am having severe anxiety problems right now and just going to the store or park is really difficult for me. So all these things that have happened during a time that I feel more in control I probably still would've been frustrated but not as much, usually I would consider myself pretty easy going.
I asked her how we could make some more money to buy something that she wanted. Her solution 'I know, we can buy money to get more money'. Well, in terms of investments she's spot on for a four year old. Unfortunately I haven't found anywhere where she can buy money tomorrow.
So we decide to do a lemonaid stand together. It's rather hot here today, so I thought it might be a good plan. We don't really live on a busy street so I figured we could just do it at the local park. Of course I don't particularly care if we 'make' money but I wanted her to have the concept of it. So I was going to put on the sign that even if they didn't have a quarter they could still have some lemonaid...
We gathered together our table and water cooler and what not, pack it into the car. Daddy is grumpy during this time because it's hot and decides he is going to stay home with the baby. Kyra's strapped in and then of course the battery is dead because a little angel flipped the over head lights on.
Finally we get to the store and it takes like an hour and a half to get through because my daughter is slower than molasses and is looking at everything. Then she has to go to the bathroom, and it's closed for services, so we had to go across the store again... It just felt never ending.
The whole time we are at the store I'm trying to explain to her that sometimes you have to put money into something or invest it so that you can make money in the end. She really wants a swimming pool, so that was the end goal of the whole thing - and to try and teach her the concept that not everything comes free.
We finally have our ice in the cooler, our lemonaid, the bread and peanut butter (we were going to make little triangles to go with the lemonaid). Everything we needed ready to go. We drove to the park and not ONE single kid is there. Not one, no one at all. They are all gone.
Now what do I do? It's too late to try and set something up tonight in the neighborhood. I put all the ice and stuff in the freezer. I really want to get her a swimming pool but I also really want her to learn the whole lesson of money and I don't want to just go buy her one after we've talked about it all day.
6 comments:
Good try. Good idea. We looked for you at the park. Glad you were doing a little better. We love you all!
It's hard teaching them such abstract concepts as money. We are still working on that one too. I hope you get feeling better. You are such an awesome person and mom with so many talents! We miss you guys.
Tiffany, you are such a good mommy. Maybe you could do it today on a busier street. I agree, I wouldn't go buy her one now. Maybe if the lemonaid stand doesn't work out she could earn money by doing helpful things around the house.
Everybody talks about the terrible twos. Mine were sweet as honey at two. It was the threes I had problems with. I think every child is different. And four is still young. She is old enough to tell you what she feels. She has grown up emotions, but little kid logic. :)
She is funny and precocious. Remember these stories for when she is 15 and 16 and beginning to date. That's when you'll get your revenge. :)
I'm glad that Carston's not quite old enough yet to try to teach about money. I suppose we're coming up on that soon though. I'd better figure something out quick!
I think you've got the right idea as far as not wanting to just go out and buy the pool, now that you've talked about the importance of saving up. I think you should find a busier street, and maybe also teach her about targeting the right demographic, along with a little lesson on supply and demand while you're at it :) Just kidding...You're such a wonderful mom, and I know that you'll do fine whatever you end up deciding. Love you Tif!
Post a Comment